Thursday, April 22, 2010


Okay people! We made it to 35 weeks... and let me tell you, it has been touch and go... So keep reading for an update into the longest 2 weeks of my LIFE...
We went to the OB for our giant baby ultrasound and appt on Monday, April 5th. Baby looked wonderful, but giant. Approximate weight? Oh, 6lbs. at 8oz. At 32 weeks 5 days. Seriously? We measured 35 weeks at that point. OB says, point blank, plan on a C-section at 39 weeks. He is going to be big, and in general, the bigger the baby, the less likely they are to come early. They are just all up in there being fat and lazy. Okay, check.
Husband was on midnights that week and Monday night I tossed and turned. Something was weird, but I could not put my finger on it. I got up Tuesday morning and got ready to go into the office for just a bit to help my dad with a few things. Sitting at the desk I again felt off. My belly would get tight, and kind of take my breath away. not painful, just.... uncomfortable? It happened about 4 to 6 times an hour. So I called the doctor, finally. They told me to drink water, lay on my side. If it did not go away in an hour, take my huge self to Labor & Delivery. What did I do? Well... I went and had lunch first, because Obviously. I then went home. I drank some water, and laid on my side. And fell asleep... for 2 hours. Oops. When I woke up, it was still happening. But they were probably Braxton hicks, right? Right? So I went upstairs and laid in bad. Still no relief. Maybe we should go to L&D. But they are going to tell me I'm a drama queen and don't even know what contractions are. But, yeah, maybe I should just get checked. So I shower, and fix my hair. Because, obviously. We get to L&D at 6:30. I'm admitted by 7pm. Because, obviously.
At this point you can imagine Jay and I are both dumbfounded. We both thought they would tell me to suck it up, and go home. They were Braxton Hicks. But noooo! They are real contractions. I am 1 1/2 cm dialated... and 70% effaced. Yeah, Wiley guy is getting anxious. So now they start trying to stop the contractions. Tons of IV meds. And poking and proding. Mainly in my lady business. Not fun. Finally get it stopped. Am released Wednesday morning with strict instructions for bedrest (So not as fun as I thought it would be) and a bagfull of pills to keep Wiley Guy where he is. I had to come back to L&D that night for another steroid shot to help mature Wiley Guy's little lungs. In case they could not stop contractions if they started again. We went from L&D directly to surgery, where my Mama Rufie was getting ready to go in for a hysterectomy. Which was a nightmare in itself. She ended up in surgery twice as long as they had planned, needed 9 units of blood, was intubated for 48 hours, kept in ICu for 4 days, and spent over a week in the hospital. She is now home, and starting to recover, but it was a scary week for her.
So we go home, and I begin bed rest. Which, sucks. We are to go to the Ob twice a week, for non-stress tests and appts. Other than restroom, and showering every other day, I'm in bed, the couch or recliner. At this point the nursery is not finished, my house is a mess, and my mom is not even conscious. So, obviously I'm on bedrest.
Now my mom and I are home together, with everyone taking turns waiting on us. :) My husband, sister and mother-in-law were kind enough to clean my house, and finish the nursery, and my grandfather finished putting the trim up, and new closet doors in the nursery as well. We are ready for Wiley Guy now!! :) We had another OB appt. on Tuesday. I'm 80% effaced and at 0 station, which I was at minus 2 station, so he is riding low. The doctor's exact words while checking me? "Oh my! His head is RIGHT THERE. He is coming soon! Just don't pop tonight, the Penguins are playing".... Um, Okay?
So it looks like we may have a baby way before we expected. I was 35 weeks yesterday. The dr. is estimating he is between 7.5 and 8 pounds. Not bad! I measured 38 weeks. I rock at baybee growing. I will try and keep up on posting, and let you know when Wiley Guy makes his grand appearance!

No comments: